At New Beginnings we can take the stress out of your move by providing packing services that ensure your valued possessions are safe and secure, ready for transit. Our friendly, experienced team can pack and unpack all your belongings, as well as place your furniture exactly where you want in your new home.
- Dismantling/reassembling of furniture
- Safe packing of household goods
- Extra safe packing of fragile and special items
Get in touch with us to find out more.
DIY packing – Packing list checklist
We understand that you might want to do your own packing. We’ve provided a helpful packing list checklist (PDF guide to DIY packing) with tips, recommendations and packing advice. Here you’ll find the dimensions of our four types of packing boxes and suggestions as to what is best to pack in each. You’ll also find useful tips you may not think of yourself and that we will find very useful when we come to move you.
We can supply you with packing boxes, tape and paper suitable for household and business items. The packaging materials we provide are good quality and tried and trusted by us. You need to be able to trust your boxes 100% when packing and moving so don’t be tempted to use the cheapest alternative you can find. The last thing you need is your belongings spilling out on the pavement outside your new home before you even start unpacking.
Packing a house
Start well in advance of your moving date as packing always takes longer than you think. Is there anything you can chuck out? What is valuable and needs highlighting as such to the removal company (it may not be obviously valuable to them). Is your insurance up to date?
Make time to go through your things and consider being ruthless about what you keep and what you don’t. You can save money by doing this. Do you really need all the junk in your garage? Would a charity shop appreciate some of your things? Can you go to the local car boot sale and make a few pounds? Ebay is also an option for some.
We can help you to work out how many boxes you need and can provide them well in advance of your moving date as part of our packing services.
Packing tips for moving house
- Don’t completely fill large boxes, as they will be too heavy to move. Put lighter objects on top of heavy things.
- Use sturdy packing boxes, particularly for heavier items, or your belongings may end up strewn all over the pavement. Boxes made from corrugated cardboard are stronger than regular ones. You can usually find these at supermarkets and large retail stores. Clean them first but be aware they are not as strong as specialist packaging.
- Put all hazardous materials, such as paint, bleach and aerosols, into a separate box and keep them away from the rest of your stuff. We can help you with this as part of our packing services.
- Start at the top of the house and work down room by room. It keeps you organised.
- Really important documents should be kept together (e.g. birth and marriage certificates). Keep them in a safe place and consider taking them with you rather than in the removal van if possible.
How to pack when moving house
- Think about the unpacking. This will take time so identify what you need on day one following the move and make sure you know what box(es) it’s in.
- Take an ‘essentials’ box with you that has tea, coffee, snacks, cups and a kettle plus some cutlery. Know where your new local fish and chip shop is!
- Pack toilet paper and toiletries for everyone. Don’t rely on children to remember their own.
- Do your washing before you move and don’t pack damp clothes. They’ll go mouldy if you forget about them. Take a big bag for dirty washing.
- Make sure boxes containing things you need least of all are loaded into the van first.
Packing for storage
Consider putting some things into storage if you won’t need them for a while. It makes unpacking easier. The lawnmower for example.
Packing services: fragile items
- Wrap fragile items individually as carefully as you can. Use ample bubble wrap and paper and place in a box marked ‘fragile’. If you break something but don’t want to throw it away, use several layers of bubble wrap and preferably label it as broken. Remember, if you use newspaper it can leave marks. Bedding is also useful for wrapping up valuables. Our packing services include preparing fragile contents.
Preparing to move house (how to help your movers)
- Always pack heavy items in small boxes (please!). It saves repacking time and makes moving them easier.
- We’re strong but we do like to avoid back injuries. Consider the weight when packing.
- Label everything with the name of the room it is to go in and what’s in the box.
- Keep all boxes for each room together as this will save time unpacking.
Call us on 07377 289550 or get in touch via our contact form if you’ve any packing questions or would like a quote on our packing materials.